The Sex Opera ...Season 2

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Chapter 5, part 6

“Shit, I know so.”

“How would you know?”

“Man, I was running his fuckin’ business why he was sitting up under them bitches. I was clockin’ his ends while he was puttin’ hoes on corners and stringin’ them bitches out on coke. I wasn’t tryin’ to be up under that nigga for much longer anyway. I was just tryin’ to get mine while I had the chance.”

“So what you doin’ now? I mean you got anybody frontin’ you?” Rico asked, swiping the condensation away from his glass with his index finger.

“I had a li’l bit of Gan leftover from Mark’s inventory but other than that I’m bold. I gotta find me somebody else to cop from until I get my money right.”

Jamal smiled and turned to Rico. Rico nodded and took a sip from his glass.

“I’m glad you said that. I have a proposition for you if you’re interested. I’ll front you a half pound of Gan and a half block of ‘caine to get you on your feet.”

“Front?” Evan questioned with raised eyebrows. “What’s the catch?”

“You bring me back thirty percent of your earning and then you can buy the rest of your stash from me at wholesale price. That way you can be well stocked and not owe me a thing. You’ll basically come to me when you need to cope and get a better rate than what’s on the streets now.”

“How you know what the rate is on the eastside? What if I get a better deal?”

“I can almost guarantee the quality isn’t going to be as good as my shit is. Young nigga I’ve been in the game since I was eleven years old. The dope game runs deep in my family. So I know I got all the good shit on lock. Even that little bullshit your boy was selling wasn’t worth selling.”

Jamal chuckled before giving Rico a pound on agreement. Evan shrugged and then sat erect when the waitress returned with his drink. She walked away and his eyes glued to her backside.

Evan licked his lips and turned back to Rico. “Nigga what makes you think I want to cope from you? I got niggas in the street I get my stash from.”

“If that’s the case, why were you workin’ for Mark? You could have easily broken away from him and did your own thang?”

Evan stared at Rico with cold eyes and took a sip from the rock glass. As the dark liquor burned the back of his throat, Rico kept calm and waited patiently for his response. He read his eyes and knew that Evan didn’t have an answer to his question but the diversion of the alcohol was his way of buying time to come up with a dumb answer.

“Because I was stealing Mark’s client from under him. While Mark was thinking I was selling his product at his rate, I was marking the product up a few dollars and pocketing the ends.”

“Were you making the weight any lighter?”

“No” Evan responded.

“Then you weren’t making any money nigga. All you was doing was getting some change. If you had any sense, you wouldn’t shorten the weight you were selling so create extra bags and sold them later for a profit. So you weren’t doing shit. But dig this here, what I’m about to give you should put you over the top. I’ll give you just enough so that you can make your bags bigger and sell them for less. That way, everybody will want to buy from you because they think their getting a discount and you don’t know how to weigh your shit. And then once you got your hooks in them, you can start cutting back on the weight of your bags or shift them over to the ‘caine for a different high. You under dig?”

Evan smiled but soon let it diminish. “I feel what you saying but why should I buy from you? I don’t even know you. You could be runnin’ game on me.”

“Cuz you know I’m spittin’ the truth.” Rico reached in his jacket pocket and sat three rolls of tightly rolled money on the table. “That’s six thousand. Six thousand I got to piss off and I’m willing to share some of it with you if you come and get down with me.”

Evan licked his lips and took another sip from his glass.

“Come get this money with me, Evan. With me, you ain’t gotta worry about all the bullshit you had to go through with your boy. Your dead boy at that. You already said you was runnin’ his shit, now come make some real money. With me you just buy and sell, that’s it. No strings attached. Start your own fuckin’ empire without having somebody to report to. Put your own money in your pocket without having somebody taking a cut of your shit.”

Evan finished the last of his drink and slammed the glass down on the table. “Fuck it. I’ll do it.”

Jamal and Rico smiled before they took a sip from their glasses. “That’s what I’m talkin’ about. It’s enough out here for everybody.” Rico took the rubber band off one roll of money, snatched off three hundred dollar bills and threw it to the stage. He uncoiled another hundred and threw it at Evan. “That’s just because I like you lil’ nigga. You got heart and I wanna see you grow. I can see you a hustla, now let’s see how good of a hustla you are.”

Rico downed the remainder of his drink and signaled for the waitress once again. After the guys knocked back two more rounds of drinks, Rico and Evan agreed to meet two days later to start their business relationship. Afterwards Evan left the bar leaving Rico and Jamal time to confer with one another about the decision on bringing Evan onboard their enterprise.

“So what you think about him?” Rico asked Jamal.

“He’s straight up with his dirt but it’s something about him that makes me uneasy. I can’t put my thumb on it but I bet if one of our backs were turned he wouldn’t hesitate to put a bullet in it.”

“Yeah, I got the feeling too. But you know what if he selling my product we really don’t have to worry about him coming back trying to run any bullshit on us. After I finish selling him all of Mark’s left over products, I’ll hike up the price on his ass and skim a bit off his weight. That lil’ nigga don’t know how to count as is it but he’ll learn soon enough. For now, we’ll just ride him out until I’m ready to cut his ass lose.”

“Or he cuts himself loose,” Jamal finished.