The Sex Opera ...Season 2

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Chapter 5, Part 5

Athena’s eyebrows rose. “Damn, that’s out cold.”

“Aye, I’m just keeping it real. He knew I was shallow from jump.”
The girls found themselves a spot on the grass near a tree. A group of guys ran pass with letters written across their chest that spelled out ‘Howard University is on fire!” which made the girls laugh in hysterics.

“How you ladies doing?”

Athena looked up and quickly waved. Hasaan took a seat next to her and smiled. “You all right Athena?”

“I’m good.”

All the girls turned to one another smiling and giggling.

“Damn, Hasaan, you don’t see nobody else?” Chris said after she slapped him on the back of his head.

“Ow! Girl, quit playing. You gon’ fuck up the wave pattern.” Without turning back and looking at Chris he kept his attention on Athena.

Athena’s face grew warm as she stomach danced a tango with excitement. She crossed her legs at the ankles in order to kept the moisture locked in because she knew if he thought about him and that dream she would give off her woman’s scent of passion which she knew he could probably easily detect being that he sat so close to her.


****

Three girls danced with one another on the narrow catwalk. They did everything in their power to get Rico’s and Jamal’s attention as they sat talking with the waitress who just delivered a round of drinks. Jamal stared at the woman like a piece of well-cooked meat while Rico remained posed and debonair as always. The thick air in the club caused Rico to choke a couple of times and force him to step to the restroom for a refreshing escape into the urine-scented room. He checked his watch and noted they had been in the club of only ten minutes and already he had grown tired of the atmosphere.

He walked back to the booth where he left his friend and reclaimed his seat next to his partner in crime. Jamal was busy caressing the waitress’ arm and putting on his pimp game which wasn’t working in his favor.

“I’m sayin’ Ma, when you get off work so I can take you someplace nice and feed you,” Jamal asked with a short smile. His toothpick never slipped from the corner of his mouth.

“Like I said before, I have a man. I don’t date the customers and I’m not for sale.”

“Aw, that’s bullshit if I ever heard it, but I’ll respect that. You don’t know money when it’s staring you in the face.”

“Oh I know money when I see it and I also know a legit Negro when I see one too.”

With that said she switched away from the table and cleared the adjoining table of the empty beer bottles.

Rico leaned over and coughed. “Guess she told you.”

“Naw, it ain’t over son. I love a fuckin’ challenge. She’s gonna be mine. All that body needs to be with a brother like me.”

Rico gave his boy a pound before noticing the front entrance door swing open. In walked a lanky young guy who looked like he had an attitude about being born. He guessed it was Evan but didn’t make motion until he was sure.

Jamal tapped Rico on the knuckle. “That’s the lil’ nigga right there trying to act hard.”

Rico glanced over his shoulder. “I kinda figured as much. Call ‘im over.”

Jamal raised his arm and waved Evan over to the table. Evan speed didn’t increase nor did his mean facial expression change as he stepped forward. Evan took a seat after Jamal slid closer to Rico.

“Wha’cha drinkin’?” Rico asked before raising his drink to his mouth.

“Let me get a Hen on the rocks,” Evan said as he slouched down on the seat, cocking his legs open to get comfortable.

Rico signaled for the waitress and placed his order. Before she walked ten feet away from the table Evan started right in. “So what’s this all about? Why y’all wanna holla at me?”

Rico sat erect and placed his drink back on the moist beverage napkin. “Well, I wanted to talk business with you. I know you heard about your boy Mark by now.”

“Yeah, I found out about it earlier. The shit is fucked up. He was man in all but uh…” He pinched his nose and stopped his train of thought.

“But uh what?” Jamal asked.

“He was a fuckin’ dummy. He was too busy fuckin’ with hoes instead of tending to his money in the streets. That’s probably what got his ass kilt.”

“You think so?” Rico asked with a straight face.