The Sex Opera ...Season 2

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Chapter 4, part 6

“So you’re thinking about the bomb fire tonight?” Chris asked.

Athena turned her with a look of surprise. “How’d you know?”

Chris shrugged and answered, “Just a hunch. Look, I gotta get outta here. I have to be at Tubby’s in about an hour and I need to go change into my uniform. Well, it was really nice meeting you. I hope to see you later on?”

“We’ll see,” Athena retorted.

“Okay,” Chris said as she placed her hand on the doorknob. “Well?”

“Well, what?”

“You so damn rude. Can you walk me out?”

Athena laughed. “You know the way. But I’ll be cordial this time, next time, remember how you got here.”

“See you ain’t got no manners. Wha’chou Mama teach you?”

“Leave my Mama out of this,” Athena snapped in a joking manner.

Athena caught Chris’ eyes glancing at her cleavage. Nothing she hadn’t experienced before however there was something behind Chris’ glance that made her uneasy. She pulled her sweater across her chest and showed newly acquired friend to the door.

“Okay, don’t forget to call me if you’re going. We can walk over there together,” Chris volunteered.

“Aw’ight. What time do you get off work?”

“Eight. So that leaves me just enough time to come home to shit, shower, and change.”

“Okay, I’ll give you a holla,” Athena said before she closed her apartment door.

****


The day wasn’t going as smoothly as Rico had wanted but it did move quickly as he anticipated. By nine thirty, the cashier had finished balancing her drawer, the sales floor was in tiptop shape, inventory sales had been tabulated, and the only thing left to do was to make sure the last employee punched out for the night.

After he set the store alarm, Rico reached for his Nextel on his hip to two-page his friend.

The phone chirped, letting him to announce, “Aye, where you at?”

“Over Marcy’s office. Where you wanna meet at?”

“Be up at Hoop City Grill in about a half,” Rico instructed.

“Bet.”

Rico slid the phone back into the holster and locked the gated security wall and started toward the mall employee exit. His phone chirped once again.

“Whassup?”

“Let’s make that forty-five. I’m a little tied up.”

“Man, get yo’ nut and be there in a half. You can fuck your woman anytime,” Rico barked into the phone as he searched for his car keys in his pocket among his change.


Within twenty-five minutes, Rico and Jamal sat across from one another as if they were holding their own gangster meeting of the minds. Jamal being Rico’s friend since junior high school was busy checking out the females that circled the bar and pool tables.

“Damn! It’s some hoes in here tonight! Wonder whassup?”

“It must be some of poetry slam or something going on later on. I won’t be here that long,” Rico answered as he glanced around, unimpressed by what he saw.

“Shit, you won’t but I might have to stick around for the festivities,” Jamal bragged as his face contorted as he watched a young woman walk by.

“Whatever, nigga. Look, we need to strategize how we gon’ take over the eastside. It’s bangin’ over there and with Mark dumb ass out the way we shouldn’t have any trouble penetrating his domain. Do you know if he had any boys or a crew?”

“I’m not sure. He did have this one cat that did his dirt when he needed, some little punk named Evan.”

“Find out who is so we can have a sit down with him.”

“Aw’ight,” Jamal nodded.

“Also put your ear to ground and see if you can find out if there are any other spots in the area where we can set up shop without the neighbors calling the cops on our ass.”

“No doubt.”

“But for the most part, I need to know who his top guy was so we can bring him in our camp, if he’s worth it. Hopefully, he ain’t no wanna be balla who thinks that he can run the show now that his boss is out the pictures. That’s something I definitely don’t want to be bothered with. If that’s the case, then he’s going to give me some static.”

“Don’t worry about. I’m up on it,” Jamal answered as she watched a girl walked along side their table giving him the eye.

Rico shook his head and laughted. “Dawg, can you please take your mind off these bitches for two seconds?”

“Sorry, man, Temptation Island is a muthafucka.”

“Listen, I need you on this shit like yesterday. I mean don’t sleep on it. The more we don’t act, the harder isn’t going to be to get in where we fit in.”

“No doubt.” Jamal said still keeping his eyes affixed on the voluptuous cutie that took a seat at the table next to theirs.

“Aw’ight. I’m outta here,” Rico said before standing from his seat. “Go ‘head and put your mack down. Get at me tomorrow.”

“No doubt,” Jamal said as they both knocked fists together to symbolize their trust.

*****


Brie sat on the sofa, holding the cordless phone, staring at the television but not really watching what was on. She glanced over at the coffee table and pondered what she was going to say when the lines were connected. Nonetheless, she couldn’t take the suspense. Brie dialed the number and waited for someone to answer.

“This is Brie. How are you doing?”

“I’d be much better if you told me where my brother is,” the voice replied in a snotty tone.

“Geez, a hello would have been nice Gertie. And why don’t you tell me why your good for nothing brother is hiding? He left me for someone else, I’m quite certain you were on cloud nine when you heard about it.”

“Funny, he never called me and told me that. You see my brother and I were tight and for him not to contact me in all this time I find it rather strange.”

“Ohhh, so that’s why the cops are all over my ass like bees to honey because you think I have something to do with him not calling your hateful ass.”

“No I think you have something to do with his disappearance.”

Brie bowed her head and snapped, “Gertrude, your brother left me penniless and with a daughter, what makes you think I wanted that?”

“I don’t what you did or how you did it, but I’m going to find out.” Gertrude hung up the phone leaving Brie listening to the dial tone.

Brie swallowed her salvia and slammed the phone down on the sofa. “That bitch is gonna fuck around and be eight feet under with her triflin’ ass brother if she keeps fuckin’ with me.”