The Sex Opera ...Season 2

Friday, June 02, 2006

Recap 2

Click.

Frank grabbed him from behind and the gun fired. Parker jumped out of harm’s way and tackled Mark as soon as he saw the Frank had the gun secure. Parker pounded his fist into Mark’s face repeatedly until Mark was about to pass out. His eyes glazed over as blood flowed from his wounds.

Parker was about to land the deadliest blow and held his shaking fist over his head.

“Go ahead, punk. You’s a coward any fuckin’ way,” Mark said before he spat in Parker’s face. He released a hyena type laugh, instigating Parker to coiled his fingers and prepared to give Mark the final blow.

Flashes of every painful experience that he had endured with his marriage had come from this pool of diseased vermin. The demise of his marriage, his trust in women, and all the hatred that he felt was all because of him. But when would it all end? When would he let go of the anger that he felt that ate away at him?

Parker lowered his fist and rose to his feet. “Get the fuck off my lawn.”

Brie and Frank stood in silence. Frank wrapped his arm around her waist as she rested her head on his shoulder.

Mark crawled backward. His eye was puffy and blood seeped from his nose and mouth. “This shit isn’t over nigga. Tell that wife of yours that I want my fuckin’ money.” He looked over his shoulder at Frank holding the gun. “And you can keep that. I got plenty more where that came from.” He gingerly climbed to his feet and began walking toward his car.

Brie ran over to Parker. “What was he talking about? How does he know Jaleesa?”

“That’s who she left me for. That’s the man my wife felt was a better lover than I.”

Brie gasped and covered her mouth. “You’re joking, right?”

Parker gave Brie the meanest gaze.

“Okay, you’re not kidding. I can’t believe you’re telling me this. That monster is a drug dealer and a pimp. He’s probably got Jaleesa doing God’s know what.”

“Jaleesa is fine,” Parker retorted, checking his bleeding knuckles.

Brie grabbed his hand and looked at with loving eyes. “How do you know?”

He snatched his hand away. “I know. Trust me, I know.”

Frank walked beside Brie and grabbed her by the hand. “Brie, I think we should go inside.” She squeezed his hand in acknowledgement while he handed Parker the gun. “I think you should keep this.”

Parker took the gun and reached in his pocket for his keys. “I’m going to bed. I had a long fuckin’ day.”

****

“Well, I’m glad that we were able to sit down and enjoy each other’s company,” Brad said, sliding a twenty-dollar bill across the bar.

“Me too. I really wanted to apologize for being so standoffish at our first meeting. I didn’t want you to think I was a total prude.”

“I didn’t. From my understanding, your previous relationship was very detrimental to your self –esteem. I just hope that you’ll allow me into your life. I know that being friends first is important and like I said before I’m not going to rush you into anything that you’re not ready for.”

Jaleesa checked her watch. 10:45 p.m. “Brad, it’s getting late and I have an early morning appointment.”

“Okay, I know when a woman is getting rid of me. You’ve been looking at your watch all night like you were timing yourself.”

“Ha-ha…Was I? I didn’t realize that’s what I was doing.” Jaleesa took a quick sip of her drink and divert her eyes to the approaching bartender.

The bartender placed Brad’s change on the counter and stood with his hand behind his back. Brad thanked him and slid him five dollars for his service. The bartender nodded and moved to the opposite end of the bar.

Brad turned back to Jaleesa and flashed his bright smile. “Well, Miss Jaleesa, I hate that you have to leave me, but I truly understand that you have to get going.” He stood from his seat and opened his arms. “Do you think I can get a hug this time? A friendly hug.”

“But of course.” She rose from her seat and wrapped her arms around him as he did her. She enjoyed the sweet smell of his skin before she pulled away. As her mind drifted from serenity, her cell phone rang.

“Hey, you got a cell phone?”

“Yes, I picked one up recently.” She checked the number. It was Parker. “Hmm…I wonder why he’s calling so late.” She pressed the decline button. “I’ll call him back a little later.” She reached down into her purse and pulled out a pen and a slip of paper. She quickly jotted down her new number and handed it to him. “Feel free to use it when you feel the need.”

“I’ll definitely be sure to do that.” He tucked the number into his jacket pocket and held his hand out.

She accepted it and he walked her out the door. As they made their way across the parking lot, her voicemail indicator sounded. Brad opened her car door and helped her climb inside.

He placed one hand on the hood and leaned over. “So can I call you tomorrow after lunch?”

Jaleesa fastened her seatbelt and said, “I would like that.”

“Good.” He kissed the back of her hand and closed her door. “Be careful and make sure you call me when you make it home safely.”

“I will.” She started the ignition and Brad made his way back to the valet station.

She shifted into drive and pulled out of the lot. She turned the radio on and heard the announcer.

“It’s a tragic story that we have to report. A young woman has been found dead at approximately one hour ago on Stahelin Street off Six Mile Road. Police have made no arrest but they are looking for a suspect neighbors described as tall, wearing a full leather coat and driving a dark model car…”

Jalessa’s mind went blank and she changed the station. “I hope my sister is okay. She lives on that street.”

As she turned the corner, she reached for her phone. She pressed the speakerphone feature and accessed her voicemail box.

“You have one message marked urgent,” the prerecorded voice said.

“Jaleesa, listen. Mark came by the house and let’s just say that he’s sorry that he did. But besides that, be careful, that punk has it out for you, something about some money that you owe him. He’s hell bent on finding you and made it clear that he wouldn’t stop his search for you, good or bad. So be careful. He’s out for blood. Call me when you get this message. I need to know that you’re okay. End of message.”

Jaleesa hands tightened around the wheel after she turned off her phone. She activated the right turn signal and directed the car onto the highway while powering up the radio to the smooth jazz radio station.

“I’ll call you later, Parker. Right now I have some things I need to take of.” She said as she speed dialed Rico’s private line.

Rico answered on the second ring.

“Hey, I’m on my way.”

“Okay, I’m on it,” he answered.